Uganda and Rwanda

Uganda and Rwanda

A few pictures

One of the villages: 




Local sweet bananas. Bright and Hannington told me if I ate the double banana I would have twins...so I went ahead and avoided that one:



That little tiny island is Punishment Island. 
"The Bakiga used to leave unmarried pregnant girls on this small island with a lone tree - to die of hunger or while trying to swim to the mainland (swimming skills were rare). This was to educate the rest, to show them not to do the same. A man without cows to pay the bridewealth could go to the island and pick up a girl. The practice got abandoned in the first half of the 20th century. Although this practice has been abandoned, it is still possible to find women who were picked up from punishment island today."

Signing one of the many visitors books:




One of the churches:

We've been calling these Seuss trees because they look like something out of a Dr Seuss book:


Sorghum:

Research:

1 comment:

  1. 1. That island is going to give me nightmares!! How terrifying and horrible.
    2. You look adorable as always.
    3. All of these children are precious.
    4. I'm upset you didn't eat the double-banana. I feel like you forgot that I also need a newborn.

    ReplyDelete